So after fossicking around in my UFO box I finally found project No. 4:
Not a great photo but you can just see the 4 in pen on the bag! No 4 project is a bag I was going to sew for a friend for Christmas last year but found something else to give her and so decided it could wait for this year.
I don't make many bags but this was impressively easy. I changed it slightly as I didn't have any thin lightweight stiff wadding so used an offcut of cotton wadding and I chose to add some iron on pellon interfacing (because I had some) to the other pocket. (Reminder to myself that I need to get more of that as I'm thinking I may make a couple more of these!)
The pattern was one I found a year or two ago on a website:
It wasn't until I looked at the close up I took that I realised this was designed by Monica at Happy Zombie and I already follow her blog, so there you go!
Anyway deciding the final layout of the fabric took me longer I think than the whole bag - well maybe not but it was ridiculously fast to make. Here is the finished product:
I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I might just put a clasp of some sort on it though. The pockets are all on the outside so nothing fiddly inside.
I'm planning to make a matching loyalty card wallet to go with it and, who knows, maybe something else like a keyholder or something.
Anyway because it was so quick I decided to pull out the bag project I planned for my other girlfriend for Christmas (which I had bagged up as No. 3 in the UFO challenge) and do that this month as well. It took a little longer than the first bag as I played around with my placement a bit (and got interrupted a lot) but here it is. This one is a little larger!
My girlfriend is a childcare worker and is always carting stuff to work so hers is a tote. She loves butterflies and purple so I tried to work those colours in. Might be a bit busy but I'm pretty happy with it.
On this one I did a nice bright yellow inside (with butterflies of course) and also added an interior double pocket for keys and iphone.
I found the pattern on the Fat Quarter Gang blog for Art Gallery Fabrics here.
So there you have it, 2 projects done in one month! Yay! Bring on the March UFO project I say!